Audience Analysis - Ermintrude Engelbert
Ermintrude Engelbert is a single woman in her fifties who came to the UK with her parents from East Jamaica in the 1960s and now lives in Edinburgh. She divorced six years ago and a son and a daughter both of whom have left home. Her son, Edwin, has just begun work as an estate agent after graduating as a property surveyor, and her daughter, Euphemia, is presently completing a degree in English Literature, intending afterwards to work in the Excise service. Ermintrude herself is an elementary English teacher, working part time three days a week. Although this means she has limited financial means, her own earnings plus her divorce settlement are enough for her quiet life. Her particular, absorbing hobby is playing the euphonium in a brass ensemble. Rehearsals, plus private practice take up a lot of her spare time. She also attends church regularly, and spends many Saturday mornings on charity work. Access to the Internet at school is very tightly governed, and she has not yet got round to having broadband access at home, so she still uses a 56K modem.
- Demographic Segmentation
- Age: 50 - 60
- Gender: Female
- Family Size: Single (Divorced, son and daughter now left home)
- Income: Low
- Occupation: Part-time elementary English teacher (3 days-a-week)
- Religion: Christian
- Ethnicity: Indo-Caribbean
- Nationality: Jamaican
- Geographic Segmentation
- Country: UK (originally Jamaica)
- Region: Scotland
- City: Edinburgh
- Population density: 448, 624 (approx). Urban.
- Climate: Wet, inconsistent
- Psychographic Segmentation
Ermintrude’s relatively low part-time teaching wage could classify her as working class, however, without knowing the amount of her divorce settlement it is hard to say. Ermintrude seems content with her life; between spending time helping at church along with practicing and playing in a brass band she has a good balance of work and play. She does not seem an overly ambitious person, but taking into account her regular social events and a teaching job she seems an approachable and friendly individual. Although clearly not a luddite, it is unlikely Ermintrude keeps abreast of all latest technological news, else she more than likely would have upgraded from 56k to broadband before now.
Three Likely Visits
- Most Often Accessed Site:http://www.musicroom.com/
- Justification:Playing in a brass ensemble will mean Ermintrude will need to buy sheet music for practicing pieces. Musicroom.com is a UK based sheet music website allowing users to review multiple books and scores on one site. The site offers free delivery, ensuring that if Ermintrude does not have access to a car she can still receive the music within 24 hours. The site also references a local music shop in Edinburgh, where Ermintrude could obtain information face to face.
- Second Most Often Accessed Site:http://www.teachit.co.uk/
- Justification:With Ermintrude being an elementary English teacher, she could use the resources available at teachit.co.uk to great effect in her classes. The site specialises in English, Drama and Media Studies for primary through to post-16 ages and offers classroom materials, schemes of work, lesson plans and teaching tools, all created by working teachers.
- Third Most Often Accessed Site:http://www.childline.org.uk/AtoZoffundraisingideas.asp
- Justification:Ermintrude spends her Saturday mornings doing charity work at her local church. The fundraising ideas available at the Childline site would help Ermintrude devise new ideas and events to raise even more money.